With climate change on everyone’s agenda, we’re all thinking more carefully about how we garden. Recently there’s been a shift towards wildife gardening, planning our gardens with this in mind, to encourage wild birds, pollinators and other wildlife to visit and thrive.
We’re constantly reviewing our ranges and what we stock to support our customers in this, particularly in the following areas:
- Wild bird food, feeders and accessories
- Wildlife housing
- Plants for pollinators
- Grow your own
Wild Bird Food, Feeders & Accessories
An easy way to start wildlife gardening is to encourage wild birds into your garden. We stock an excellent range of wild bird food, bird feeders, and wild bird feeding accessories, including:
- Bird seed feeders – from basic plastic to luxury stainless steel
- Fat ball feeders
- Bird tables
- Bird baths
- Feed stations which allow you to hang a range of feeders and trays
- A wide range of bird seed and food solutions
- Bird food storage bins and scoops
As well as wild bird food and accessories, we stock other items to help attract other species to your wildlife garden:
- Hedgehog houses and food
- Bird Nest Boxes
- Insect houses
We’re very lucky to have the Channel Islands Pollinator Project running locally. They’ve pulled together a fantastic resource on their website of advice and information on how you can get involved in protecting our pollinators here in Guernsey.
In addition the Royal Horticultural Society pull together a list of the best garden plants for pollinators. One of the keys to success is to try to plant a range of plants from this list that come into bloom in different seasons to provide a nectar and pollen resource throughout the year.
And when you’re shopping in our plant area, don’t forget to look out for this logo on the plant labels which tells you which plants are good choices for pollinators.
To help you further we’ve even got an area where we pull together some of the pollinators’ favourites which are looking good or are in flower at the moment.
Look out for our “Help Our Pollinators” display in our plant area…
Grow Your Own
You’ll find we stock a comprehensive range of things you need to grow your own produce:
- Wide range of composts, including peat free, organic, and seed & potting composts
- Wide range of seeds from Mr Fothergill’s, aswell as seed potatoes, and onion & garlic sets at the beginning of each year
- Propagation trays and accessories